Georgian Stamford has a wealth of historic buildings
Georgian Stamford was made the UK’s first Conservation Area 50 years ago, and has over 600 listed buildings – more than half of those in Lincolnshire.
Its well-preserved Georgian character has ensured it has been the go-to filming location for Georgian-era TV and film productions from Middlemarch to Pride & Prejudice.
Only one wall remains of what was the town’s castle, created in the Norman era in the area of land between the Welland Valley and Sheepmarket. The castle was a motte and bailey construction, created on the grounds of five houses and occupied twice during the civil wars of the mid-C12th.
The building deteriorated from 1300-1600, and its remains were levelled in the 1930s to create the bus station and car park.
Stamford’s Civic Society has assisted in the upkeep of St Leonard’s Priory off Uffington Road, creating benches, interpretation and planting spring bulbs for visitors to enjoy. The building’s C12th architectural arches are a feature, as is the new west front, rebuilt in 1833 by the 2nd Marquess of Exeter.
Stamford’s other historic treat is Browne’s Hospital, founded by the wool merchant William Browne and now almshouses home to 13 residents. The Browne family also have links with The Priest’s House, the area’s only National Trust Property, based a mile away at Easton on the Hill.